While we’re waiting for iPhone Dev team to release the jailbreak tool for iPhone 3GS, let’s try the alternative way to jailbreakthe new iPhone using Purplera1n. In this post, I’ll go through step-by-step with you how you can use Purplera1n for the jailbreak.
Before we dive into the jailbreak, there are a few things you should note:
1. First, purplera1n is now still in beta
and available for Windows only. For Mac user, please refer to this guide.
2. Purplera1n is designed specifically for iPhone 3GS jailbreak. Let me repeat it’s foriPhone 3GS. If you’re looking forjailbreak guide for iPhone 3G or 2G, please refer to the guide here.
3. Make sure you’re using iTunes 8.2.
4. Same as other jailbreak methods, use at your own risk (though it has been proved to work on some iPhones) and jailbreaking will void the warranty.
5. Presently, jailbreaking with Purplera1n does not support Winterboard and voipover3g.
Okay, if you have read the above points and am sure to go for jailbreaking, read on for thejailbreak procedures.
Procedures to jailbreak iPhone 3GS with Purplera1n
1. First, download purplera1n from www.purplera1n.com. You can click on the Windows icon to download the purplera1n.exe
2. Connect your iPhone 3GS via USB
3. Launch purplera1n.exe that you have just downloaded.
4. Click “Make it ra1n” button and wait. It’ll automatically put your iPhone into recovery mode, jailbreak and reboot.
5. After reboot, you should find a new icon called “Freeze” installed. Tap to launch it and tap the “Install Cydia” button to install cydia.
6. Once installation completes, reboot your iPhone.
That’s it. After reboot, you can launch Cydia and install other 3rd party applications.