iPhone 3GS Jailbreak Using Purplera1n For Mac
Mac users, this is a great news for you. GeoHot has ported Purplera1n, the jailbreak tool for iPhone 3GS, to Mac OS X.
A couple days ago, the developer only released the purplera1n for Windows. And now, most Mac users can enjoy the jailbreak ofiPhone 3GS.
Same as the Windows Version, I’ll walk you through the procedures for the jailbreak. But before I show you the steps, make sure you read through the below points:
1. First, purplera1n is still in beta and this guide is for Mac. For Windows user, please check out the jailbreak guide here.
2. Purplera1n is designed specifically for iPhone 3GS jailbreak. Let me repeat it’s foriPhone 3GS. If you’re looking for jailbreak guide for iPhone 3G or 2G, please refer to the guide here.
3. Make sure you’re using iTunes 8.2.
4. Same as other jailbreak methods, use at your own risk (though it has been proved to work on some iPhones) and jailbreaking will void the warranty.
5. Also, jailbreaking with Purplera1n does not support Winterboard and voipover3g.
Okay, if you’re sure to go for the jailbreak, read on and follow the procedures. It’s very straightforward.
Procedures to jailbreak iPhone 3GS
1. First, download purplera1n from www.purplera1n.com. You can click on the Mac icon to download the purplera1n.zip.
2. Extract the purplera1n.zip and then connect your iPhone 3GS via USB
3. Launch purplera1n that you have just extracted.
4. Click “Make it ra1n” button and wait. It’ll automatically put your iPhone into recovery mode, jailbreak and reboot.
5. After reboot, you should find a new icon called “Freeze” installed. Tap to launch it and tap the “Install Cydia” button to install cydia.
6. Once installation completes, reboot your iPhone.
That’s it. After reboot, you can launch Cydia and install other 3rd party applications.