Make Home Schooling For Your Toddler Fun With Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 – English [REVIEW]
Warning: get_headers(): http:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_fopen=0 in /nfs/c10/h01/mnt/141529/domains/macpeer.com/html/wp-content/plugins/squared-appstorebox/squared-appstorebox.php on line 193
Warning: get_headers(): This function may only be used against URLs in /nfs/c10/h01/mnt/141529/domains/macpeer.com/html/wp-content/plugins/squared-appstorebox/squared-appstorebox.php on line 193
According to a survey, majority parents in USA who can afford home-schooling for their children do prefer to go with this option over the option sending their child to school.
While homeschooling, the interest of a child can be generated in studies if the studies can be made easy. An app called “Simplex Spelling Phonics 1- English” is here to simplify the English lessons for your child and enable them to learn correct spellings of English words easily.
Even if you want to send your child to school, this app can still be helpful as it would help your child to learn and understand many things easily and make him /her smarter than other kids.
Simplex Spelling improves English spelling and reading skills by using a powerful combination of phonics lessons, spelling/word patterns, some unique “reverse phonics” approach and contextually relevant spelling rules.
Simplex Spelling has been created by Pyxwise Software Inc that describes itself as an independent developer of family friendly games and educational software targeted for mobile devices. This was co-founded by Craig Welburn B.A.Sc, B.Sc. and Lisa Welburn Ph.D. in 2011.
This app teaches a full year of spelling curriculum with over 450 high frequency words that are divided into 42 lists. The words are organized by spelling patterns and difficulty levels. Each of the 42 lists comes with a lesson that teaches one of the basic building blocks of spelling in the English language. These basic building blocks in the app include different phonograms, sounds, and spelling rules.
The spelling lists in this app focus on some of the highest frequency words in the English language that help students to establish a base foundation of literacy and confidence with spelling and reading.
With Simplex Spelling Phonics 1, students learn a new concept for each lesson building on the skills learned from previous lessons. Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 guides the student and acts as a personal spelling coach with every word, while teaching “how to spell” English words.
Memorization may be sufficient to pass a spelling test. However, it often does not transfer into good long term reading and spelling skills. The makers of Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 describe their goal with this app as to not only teach a list of words, but to teach students “how to spell” these words, thus building long term skills that can be used for over 84% of the words in the English language that follow phonetic patterns.
Many studies have shown that students who learn to read through phonics have a higher level of literacy than students who learn to read by using flash cards and the whole word approach. Studies have shown in past that not all readers are good spellers, but almost all good spellers are also good readers. This is why Simplex Spelling’s comprehensive unique phonics approach to spelling would do wonders to create both better spellers and better readers.
All text and voice is entirely in English. There is a limitation with this app that you cannot create your own spelling lists.
Here are important features of this app:
1. Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 has over 450 high frequency spelling words to help build literacy.
2. In this app, the words are spoken and used in a sentence to establish context and improve vocabulary.
3. Introductory spelling list in this app seamlessly leads a student through all of the application’s features.
4. This app features 42 instructional lessons teach phonics, phonograms, and spelling rules.
5. Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 follows a full “reverse phonics” approach that includes sounds made by all the different letter combinations.
6. Contextually relevant spelling rule in this app hints that help explain “how to spell” English words.
7. Letter by letter feedback system in this app provides feedback while the student is in the process of spelling each word.
8. Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 guarantees success on every word.
9. This app has support for 40 user accounts. This feature has been added in the new version.
10. Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 has good memory and it remembers each user’s progress in every list.
11. Statistics are available in this app. Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 features a user stats screen to see mastered words and words that require further practice.
12. Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 supports both upper and lower case letters.
13. This app supports both alphabetic and QWERTY keyboard layouts.
14. Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 supports US, UK and Canadian English spelling of words.
Here is a video that gives you a trailer of Simplex Spelling Phonics:
This app also carries a privacy disclosure. User’s privacy is protected by this app. It Does not contain 3rd party ads. Nor does this app shares any data. There are no In-App purchases in Simplex Spelling Phonics 1. The updated version of this app does not link to social media. This app contains links to developer website, to developer email support and rate the app.
We mentioned some of the features that have been added to the new, updated version of this app. Following are some more new features in the new version 1.3.0 of Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 – English:
1. The new version of this app has updated graphics to support the new iPad.
2. The new version has changed how the phonogram hint buttons appear to aid more with phonemic awareness.
3. Most of the two syllable words in the early word lists have been replaced with single syllable words.
4. The new version has added some better transition words between one and two syllable words in the earlier word lists.
5. With the new update, the speech button will pulse now after a period of inactivity to help students that are easily distracted to resume working more seamlessly.
Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 is compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, 3rd Generation iPod Touch, 4th Generation iPod Touch and iPad. It requires iOS 4.0 or later version.
This review has been written after the app being obtained from app store through a gift card and the app has been used on an iPad.
Do you feel that it is easy to teach English spellings to children with this app? Post your comments.