Scan WiFi On Your Mac Easily With WiFi Scanner [REVIEW]
Warning: get_headers(): http:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_fopen=0 in /nfs/c10/h01/mnt/141529/domains/macpeer.com/html/wp-content/plugins/squared-appstorebox/squared-appstorebox.php on line 193
Warning: get_headers(): This function may only be used against URLs in /nfs/c10/h01/mnt/141529/domains/macpeer.com/html/wp-content/plugins/squared-appstorebox/squared-appstorebox.php on line 193
An Apple Fanboy once told me that there is an app for everything, just the way, there is a solution to every problem. Now there is app to scan your WiFi as well.
Introducing, the WiFi Scanner, which is the most feature rich and complete WiFi scanning app on the app store. It is a great tool for personal use and for IT professionals. All features are available on 10.6 and later (Snow Leopard and Lion).
WiFi Scanner is an 802.11/WiFi wireless scanner and connection manager for 802.11 a/b/g/n networks. This app is an easy to use tool for designing, verifying, and troubleshooting WiFi coverage. This tool provides information such as signal strength, noise, manufacturer name based on Mac address prefix of device, known as Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI), and AP channel assignments for WiFi access points.
WiFi Scanner has been created by AccessAgility LLC, a Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) with offices in the Washington, DC metro area. AccessAgility supports government organizations such as Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS), United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) and Department of Defense (DoD). This company provide government and commercial organizations with consulting and program management support for systems design and integration, systems and network administration, data center operations and security.
WiFi Scanner can also be used a security tool for detecting unauthorized and rogue access points. This app includes an audio alert (beep) feature. This feature is directly related to RSSI / access point signal strength. It can be used to track down devices by listening for beep frequency instead of watching app screen.
Following are the features of Scan Tab which give you glimpse about the scanning ability of WiFi Scanner:
1. Scan Tab scans 802.11 a/b/g/n. It scans both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.
2. This tab displays channel number per device.
3. It indicates if channel is in 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz channel band.
4. WiFi Scanner’s Scan Tab can detect devices operating using 20 MHz or 40 MHz channel bandwidth.
5. Correctly identifies if 40 MHz channel width is above (channel, +1) or below (channel, -1) primary channel.
6. Scan Tab auto starts scanning when app is launched.
7. You can easily stop, pause, resume scan or even start new scan.
8. This app can plot Received Signal Strength Indication (RSSI) value for Service Set Identification (SSIDs) for a single, multiple or all detected access points.
9. You can toggle on / off RSSI value on plot.
10. This app can sort any column and it remembers on next open.
11. While using this app, you can move columns to desired position and app will remember position on next open.
12. You can copy or Paste rows of results into your own documents.
13. This app has expandable or collapsible graph area.
14. WiFi Scanner’s Scan Tab has expandable or collapsible table view area.
15. You can join button per SSID that allows user to join WiFi network.
16. You have the option to merge scan results from similar SSIDs into single strongest signal SSID.
17. The tool reports signal strength in decibels (dBm).
The Scan Filters of WiFi Scanner are awesome. You can filter results by SSID, Basic Service Set Identification (BSSID), Channel, and Channel Band. You can also use and/or combinations to fine tune filtered results.
1. Left column can automatically log each scan session when stop or play is clicked using “Scan #” format.
2. You can double click default scan name to edit and customize name.
3. You can also review previous scans while app is open. Great for comparing scans per floor/area.
1. You can double click results row to view new window with RSSI and graph.
2. Audio beep in monitor window will increase as RSSI increases for access point being tracked. Very handy for rogue access point tracking Interface.
1. You can easily turn interface on or off.
2. You can disconnect from access point but leave interface enabled.
3. You can access detailed information about connected WiFi network.
4.Signal and noise plot for connected WiFi network.
5. You can also create Ad-hoc network / Independent Basic Service Set (IBSS).
6. Transmission rate for connected WiFi network.
7. Interface Info Tab can display supported channels for computer.
8. This tab can display supported WiFi types for computer (802.11 a/b/g/n).
With Remote GPS Tab, User Datagram Protocol (UDP) listener for use with Sensor Pro remote GPS iPhone app.
In the new updated version 1.7.2 of WiFi Scanner, the performance has been improved and many bugs have been fixed. The fixes include the issue where monitor window was not displaying for some users.
WiFi Scanner is a Mac app and it is compatible with OS X 10.6 or later version. It requires 64-bit processor.
This review has been written after obtaining WiFi Scanner from Mac App Store and the app has been used on Mac.
So what is your feedback about WiFi Scanner? Share with us.