Touch me not or you catch fire

Apple’s first generation iPod nano music player is said to have problems like overheating and fire, after criticism from the government of Tokyo, Apple’s Japanese unit has offered to replace all the iPods which have problems.

Apple confirmed “very rare cases of overheating” in the battery of the iPod nano sold between September 2005 and December 2006, which distorted the shape of the device or made it unusable, the company said on its Japanese website.

Apple has offered to replace affected units, and concerned customers using the first-generation iPod nano can now get the battery replaced, it said. The company also revealed that the fault had been traced to a particular battery supplier, adding that other iPod nano models had no such recharging problems.

The recharging problems is said to have caused 27 overheating incidents, including six fires, which left four people with minor burns, stated The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

The ministry last week said Apple had separately notified it of 34 other “non-serious” overheating accidents related to the device. Apple’s delay in doing so is “truly regrettable” the ministry added. The information regarding the problems were posted on the website including recommending battery replacements. However, the lack of prominence given to the warnings provoked criticism.

Written by

Computer Science Student from University of Cincinnati turned writer with my first iPhone. I like to travel, make friends with tech minded folks on internet. I write on my 13" MacBook Pro Retina and iPad Air Cellular. Black iPhone 5S is my sidekick.